Our Heritage

CELEBRATING OUR HERITAGE DURING THE QUEEN'S JUBILEE

 

 


DID YOU KNOW?

THE STAFF OF PRINCE CHARLES, PRINCE OF WALES CONTACTED W HURST & SON IN THE 1990'S AND MADE SEVERAL PURCHASES FOR HIS HIGHGROVE ESTATE.


 

 

FOUNDRY WORKERS

 


THE COMPANY WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1859 BY CHARLES WHEELER AS A FOUNDRY WHICH CONCENTRATED ON AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENT MANUFACTURE AND THE SERVICING AND REPAIRS FOR THE ISLAND'S BOOMING FARMING INDUSTRY. AT THIS TIME IT WAS BASED AT PAN FOUNDRY BEFORE MOVING TO 33 HOLYROOD STREET IN 1886.


 

NEWSPAPER ADVERTISEMENT

HAROLD COOPER - STEEL YARD

 


THE STOCK PROFILE CONSISTED OF FENCING, GATES, FURNACE BARS AND BALKERS. IN ADDITION TO LARGER AGRICULTURAL MACHINERY, SUCH AS HORSE POWERED CHAFF CUTTERS, MILLS, PLOUGHS AND HARROWS. IT SUPPLIED AND SERVICED FARMS ACROSS THE ISLAND WITH MILKING MACHINES UNTIL 1960, AND CONTINUED TO TRADE WITH THEM THEREAFTER. ALSO OPERATING AS A BLACKSMITH'S FORGE WITH THREE FARRIERS SHOEING SHIRE HORSES FROM THE PRISON. 


 

AN INVOICE FROM 1952

THE FOUNDRY MADE CUSTOMISED IRONMONGERY ITEMS, DRAIN COVERS AND GRATINGSTHAT CAN BE SEEN ON PAVEMENTS & OLD HOMES ACROSS THE ISLAND. DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR THE FOUNDRY WAS TASKED WITH MAKING METAL PARTS FOR THE WAR EFFORT.


 

 

 Foundry Producing Moulds

 


THE GAS YARD LOCATED IN SEA STREET WAS THE ISLANDS MAIN CALOR GAS DEALERSHIP AT THE TIME, SUPPLYING HOME AND CAMPSITES FOR HEATING AND COOKING, INCLUDING THE SUPPLY TO SMALL ISLAND. 


 GAS YARD - SEA STREET

 


THE TUMBLEDOWN HOUSE SITUATED ON THE CORNER OF 33 HOLYROOD STREET, BOUGHT IN 1886, IS NOW PART OF THE NEWPORT FLAGSHIP STORE, WHICH IS ONE OF SIX ACROSS THE ISLAND. FROM 1960 TO 1997 THE COMPANY BEGAN TO EXPAND, OPENING THE OTHER FIVE STORES IN VENTNOR, RYDE, COWES, FRESHWATER & SHANKLIN, WHERE THEY STILL HOLD A STRONG HIGH STREET PRESENCE TODAY.


 

 CORNER OF 33 HOLYROOD STREET

 

1859 INTERESTING FACTS

(W HURST & SON EST IN 1859)

  • QUEEN VICTORIA WAS 22 YEARS INTO HER REIGN.

  • GENERAL POST OFFICE BEGAN ERECTION OF THE FIRST NATIONAL STANDARD PILLAR POST BOX DESIGN.

  • CHARLES DICKINS PUBLISHED THE FIRST ISSUE OF HIS NEW MAGAZINE 'ALL THE YEAR ROUND'

  • THE NEEDLES LIGHTHOUSE ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT WAS THE FIRST ILLUMINATED (22nd MAY)

  • THE CLOCK AND CHIMES OF THE CLOCK TOWER, PALACE OF WESTMINSTER BECAME OPERATIONAL. THE GREAT BELLS AQUIRES THE NAME 'BIG BEN BY ASSOCIATION WITH BENJAMIN HALL 1st BARON LLANOVER.

  • CHARLES DARWIN'S 'THE ORIGIN OF THE SPECIES' IS PUBLISHED.


WE HAVE REMAINED TRUE TO OUR ROOTS AS AN IRONMONGERS SUPPLYING CUSTOMERS ISLANDWIDE FOR 163 YEARS, WHICH CERTAINLY MAKES US PROUD TO BE PART OF THE LOCAL COMMUNITY. WE HAVE GRADUALLY EXPANDED OUR PRODUCT RANGE OVER THE YEARS TO FOLLOW CURRENT TRENDS AND DEMANDS, STOCKING PRODUCTS RELATING TO LIGHTING, CHINAWARE, GIFTWARE, HOUSEWARES AND INTERIORS, GARDENING AND OUTDOOR LIVING TO NAME JUST A FEW.

PROVIDING OUR SERVICES THROUGH OUR WEBSITE HAS ALLOWED US TO BUILD GREAT RELATIONS INCREASING OUR CUSTOMER DATABASE AS FAR AS THE SCOTTISH ISLES WITH MANY RETURNING CUSTOMERS DUE TO OUR COMPETITIVE PRICES AND FIRST CLASS SERVICE WHICH INCLUDES CONTACTLESS VAN DELIVERIES TO ANY ADDRESS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT. PROGRESSIVELY ADAPTING OUR WORKING MODEL BY KEEPING THE OLD AND INTRODUCING THE NEW HAS CERTAINLY SUPPORTED US THROUGH THE CHALLENGES OF KEEPING OUR POSITION ON THE HIGH STREET TODAY.